Saturday 27 August 2011

Fitter, thinner Akmal targets comeback


Having drawn on the insight and expertise of former Pakistan wicketkeepers Moin Khan and Rashid Latif, discarded gloveman Kamran Akmal has insisted he is a more refined article these days.
                                                           Akmal - high hopes.
                                                              Akmal - high hope
Unimpressive at the World Cup earlier this year and dropped from the upcoming tour of Zimbabwe, the 29-year-old Akmal has lost his spot in the national team to his brother, Adnan Akmal, and is now biding his time with the Lahore Lions in domestic competition,.
Averaging just 30.79 in 53 Tests, a mere 27.58 from 137 ODIs and clumsy behind the stumps, with a slew of dropped catches to his name at the World Cup and prior series, the right-hander hoped to put his recent failings behind him soon.
"I spent a lot of time in Moin's academy. He gave me valuable tips which I am following to the core," the Express Tribune quoted Kamran as saying.
"I also had a lot of interaction with Latif and sought his advice on various issues. The tips from both of them were of great value and helped me in removing my wicketkeeping flaws.
"Hopefully all my hard work will pay off and people will see major a improvement in my performance in. There is tough competition for a place in the national side and only the best player survives.
"I am hopeful that I will come back strong by proving my wicketkeeping abilities and be able to cement my place."
Accused of being overweight and lacking the fitness required of an international cricketer this year, the wicketkeeper-batsman said he has shed his rotund waistline following some consistency in the gym.
"I'm doing a lot of work-outs and have managed to reduce six to seven kilograms. I've regained the same level of fitness that I had during my best days," he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment