Thursday 25 August 2011

Ban-flouting Amir escapes with warning


Mohammad Amir has escaped further punishment from the International Cricket Council for breaking his five-year ban from all competitive cricket.
The 19-year old left-armer was sidelined for five years by the ICC earlier this year after being found guilty of deliberately bowling no-balls in the spot-fixing scandal that rocked the 2010 tour of England, but in June turned out for Addington 1743 in a Surrey Cricket League Division One match against St Luke's LSE ground in New Malden.
Amir admitted to playing for the village team, but was under the impression the match did not disregard his suspension.
                                                        Amir (left) - in and out of hot water.
                                                  Amir (left) - in and out of hot water
"I was informed by club representatives before the game that it was a friendly match, being played on a privately-owned cricket ground," he told Pakpassion.net. "I asked the club representatives if the match fell under the jurisdiction of the ECB and they informed me that the match did not.
"I spoke to several club representatives about the issue and they all told me that it was a friendly match and therefore would not contravene my ban from the ICC. I was informed that I was fine to play.
"I would not be stupid enough to knowingly play in a match that I knew would contravene my ban. Wherever I am going to play cricket, the world will know about it. I would not be stupid enough to play in a match where I knew that I would be taking a risk."
The teenager has now been cautioned by the ICC and warned over his future conduct.
"Mohammad Amir has been warned and has been provided with further clarification as to the terms of his suspension,," said an ICC spokesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment